Monday, March 14, 2011

Heartbroken - I pray for you JAPAN

I had the opportunity to work for a Japanese owned company.  They are one of the world's largest producers of some of the best sesame oil in the world. We always had folks from Japan work in our office in the USA.  They are the most polite, respectful and soft spoken people I have ever met. They always said good morning with a bow.  And they always said your name with -san at the ending.  Remember the Karate Kid movie?  Daniel-san?  If you were ever stressed or under the weather at the office, they came around with freshly pressed hot green tea.  Whenever they traveled to Japan, they always came back bearing gifts.  Some were very unique and not always familiar to the American pallet, but the packages where always so beautiful.  The attention to detail and art is so exquisite in Japan.  They conserve their heritage, customs and folklore.  I don't think there is any culture that can rival Japan's in the way they respect the elderly.  In the USA we put ours away in homes most of the time.  I see pictures of rescue workers carrying the elderly on their backs with all the care in the world.

It is mind-boggling to see the pictures of towns totally wiped away.  Boats and cars on top of 3 story buildings.  A truck dangling on power lines.  Piles and piles of cars thrown around.

So many people are homeless. Yet they conserve a sense of dignity that comes through in the pictures.  They form lines and patiently wait for all to be attended by relief organizations that are on the ground now. I have seen on the news in other disaster areas where people fight, push and shove to get their supplies first.  Maybe it is just the initial shock and people are still walking around numb in Japan.

To this day I still stay in touch with my friend Masanori Suzuki. I call him Suzuki-san. When I heard of the earthquake I immediately thought of him and his wife and all of their families.  I thought about all the employees of the sesame oil company.  The only way I knew how to contact him was through Facebook.  And he responded.  They are all well. It was such a relief to know, thank God.  Fortunately they were on another part of the island, but he still felt all the shaking going on. But now we are worried about nuclear
fall-out.  To scary to even think about it.

I want to do something to help.  My commitment to give up something for Lent is going strong since last Wednesday.  And my promise to donate the money I would have spent on myself still stands.  What I haven't done was commit to a certain charity until now.  I know exactly which one, and a very reputable one at that.  The AMERICAN RED CROSS.  They can take the money and purchase what is needed the most.  I trust them with my donation.  Here is a link to their website. 

DO SOMETHING KIND TODAY IDEA:
Donate to the American Red Cross for Japan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment